Gifts are necessary for any serious relationship and the more random a gift is the more significant the feeling is at the receiving end. Here are ten gift ideas that are either painless in terms of time or relatively inexpensive:
- Flowers. Not the traditional dozen roses before dinner. Find out her favorite flowers and go to her work and leave them on her car. The surprise element of her seeing them is more important than the gift. If you live near a Price Chopper, get flowers there they are excellent and cheaper than a local florist.
- Personalized underwear. There are websites that charge ten bucks for an embroidered g-string or thong. Get "Property of YOUR NAME" then with a heart on the bottom. Give them to her on a non-special occasion.
- Take a Day Trip. Look in your own 'backyard' for tourist spots you might not even know about and take her out to lunch there. If it's an hour ride, who cares the trip is half the fun. For people in New York, check out iloveny.com for some cool spots.
- What little things does she love? My girlfriend loves candles. A few of them costs no more than $15 total and it's a guaranteed good night if I have them lit upon her arrival
- If you're trying to save money, ask her to a movie night at home. Then buy all of her favorite candy brands (don't ask the day of the movie which brands she likes) and her favorite bottle of wine
- Purchase one of her favorite books/DVDs. These are cheap and easy gifts since you really can't lose.
- What reminds her of a good childhood memory? My girlfriend was an ice skater during high school and loved it. I picked her up one day and took her ice skating without telling her. Do something like this with her past interests.
- Get something special framed. A picture of you two or her favorite painting or poem. Have it on display when she comes over or comes home.
- Take a mini vacation for no reason. Use discount hotel sites to find a good deal and book it for when you're both a little stressed, then get out of town. Even if the place is boring she will be excited of your spontaneity.
- Save these for when she's mad at you: If you have ledges in your bedroom, buy cheap small candles around it and light them. Turn off the lights and take her in there. Or, buy a dozen roses but also a dozen single flower holders. Make a line outside her front door. And finally, write her a love letter. A genuine letter. Like why she's the one for you. Reflect on a past memory right when you met or started dating. Hide the note in a place where it won't take long to find, but long enough for when you're not around (i.e. her purse).